Revance Announces FDA Approval of DAXXIFY™ (DaxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) for Injection, the First and Only Peptide-Formulated Neuromodulator With Long-Lasting Results
- Category: Proteins and Peptides
- Published on Friday, 09 September 2022 09:16
- Hits: 5491
- Approved label includes full 36-week efficacy data from Phase 3 SAKURA clinical program, positioning DAXXIFY™ as the first and only long-acting neuromodulator that demonstrates a median duration of six months and up to nine months for some patients1- 6* ‡
- Based on the data from SAKURA, DAXXIFY™ has the ability to deliver year-long results with as few as two treatments per year and has been proven to be effective, generally safe and well tolerated2-5 *
- DAXXIFY™, powered by Peptide Exchange Technology™, is the first true innovation in neuromodulator product formulation in over 30 years
NASHVILLE, TN, USA I September 08, 2022 I Revance Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: RVNC), a biotechnology company focused on innovative aesthetic and therapeutic offerings, today announced that the United States (U.S.) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved DAXXIFY™ (DaxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) for injection for the temporary improvement of moderate to severe frown lines (glabellar lines) in adults.1 DAXXIFY™ is the first and only neuromodulator stabilized with Peptide Exchange Technology™ (PXT) and is free of both human serum albumin and animal-based components.1-2,7-11 Most importantly, DAXXIFY™ has the ability to address duration of treatment effect, which we believe is the greatest unmet need with existing neuromodulators for both consumers and injectors.12 The FDA approval, Revance’s first, augments the company’s innovative aesthetics portfolio and expands the company’s access to the growing $3.2 billion U.S. facial injectables market, further establishing Revance as an innovation leader in the industry and laying the groundwork for potential future therapeutic indications.13
“The FDA approval of DAXXIFY™ is a foundational achievement for the company as it marks the culmination of years of pioneering research and development made possible by the outstanding execution of our talented team, along with strong support from the medical and investor communities. It has been an incredible and rewarding journey to realize our vision and bring this disruptive innovation to an industry that has remained largely unchanged for over 30 years,” said Mark J. Foley, Chief Executive Officer. “Importantly, we are very pleased DAXXIFY™’s label includes data demonstrating the achievement of none or mild wrinkle severity based on investigator and subject assessments, as this provides the foundation for our marketing claims around duration of effect. We look forward to continuing to set new standards in aesthetics and to establishing a new category of long-lasting, peptide-enhanced neuromodulators.1,11”
Jeffrey Dover, MD, co-director of SkinCare Physicians of Chestnut Hill, commented, “As a SAKURA investigator, I’m pleased to see DAXXIFY™ now approved as the first and only peptide-formulated, long-acting neuromodulator in the market. Compelling data from the largest Phase 3 clinical program ever conducted for glabellar lines demonstrated that DAXXIFY™ was well tolerated and achieved clinically significant improvement with long-lasting results and high patient satisfaction. Notably, DAXXIFY™ was able to demonstrate a long duration of effect while only utilizing 0.18 ng of core active ingredient in the 40-unit labeled indication for glabellar lines. With today’s approval, I look forward to helping patients, who have been accustomed to a 3 to 4-month duration profile with conventional neuromodulators, achieve year-long results with as few as two treatments per year.2-5 *”
The U.S. approval of DAXXIFY™ was based on the data generated in the SAKURA Phase 3 clinical trial program (SAKURA 1,2,3), which included more than 2,700 patients and approximately 4,200 treatments. In the pivotal trials:
- 74% of subjects achieved a > two-grade improvement in glabellar lines at week 4 per both investigator and patient assessment1,4¶
- 88% achieved > two-grade improvement at week 4 per investigator assessment1¶
- 98% of subjects achieved none or mild wrinkle severity at week 4 per investigator assessment 4¶
- 6-month median duration3,4*
- Some patients maintained treatment results at 9 months2-4‡
- Results seen as early as one day after treatment, typically seen within two days14¶
DAXXIFY™ is generally safe and well tolerated with no serious treatment-related adverse events reported in the clinical trials and has a safety profile consistent with other currently available neuromodulators in the aesthetics market.1-5,7-10 The most common treatment-related adverse events with DAXXIFY™ observed in the pivotal trials were headache (6%) followed by eyelid ptosis (2%) and facial paresis, including facial asymmetry (1%).1
“With DAXXIFY’s innovative and differentiated performance profile, alongside our portfolio that includes the RHA® Collection of dermal fillers and the OPUL® Relational Commerce platform, we have a real opportunity to build on our commercial success while setting a new standard for neuromodulator formulation,” said Dustin S. Sjuts, President. “The strong inroads that we have made in the prestige market with our products and services will serve as a solid foundation upon which to launch DAXXIFY™. Consistent with our commercial strategy, DAXXIFY™ will be available through Revance Aesthetics’ elite partners, known for delivering exceptional consumer outcomes and experiences. We are excited to be launching DAXXIFY™ shortly with an early training and education program at our world-class headquarters and experience center in Nashville, followed by a broader commercial launch.”
Practices interested in receiving more information on DAXXIFY™ may reserve their spot at RevanceAesthetics.com.
Revance will host a corresponding conference call and a live webcast today at 5:00 a.m. PT / 8:00 a.m. ET to discuss the FDA approval. Individuals interested in listening to the conference call may do so by registering via the webcast link in the investor relations section of the company's website at: www.revance.com.
To access the call by phone, please use this registration link, and you will be provided with dial in details. To avoid delays, we encourage participants to dial into the conference call fifteen minutes ahead of the scheduled start time. A webcast replay will be available in the investor relations section on the company's website for 90 days following the completion of the call.
* At least 50% of patients treated with DAXXIFY™ in SAKURA 1 and 2 had none or mild frown lines per investigator or patient assessments for 24 weeks and 23.9 weeks (6 months) or longer (respectively) after treatment.
‡ 5% of patients in SAKURA 1 and 3% of patients in SAKURA 2 achieved glabellar line severity of none or mild with DAXXIFY™ at Week 36 (9 months) per investigator’s assessment. In SAKURA 1 and 2, and SAKURA 3 Treatments 1 and 2, a total of 7.5%, 5.4%, 17.4%, 11.6% of treated patients had not returned to baseline severity per both investigator and patient assessment at 9 months.
¶ Per pooled data from SAKURA 1 and SAKURA 2.
DAXXIFY™ (daxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) for injection is an acetylcholine release inhibitor and neuromuscular blocking agent indicated for the temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines associated with corrugator and/or procerus muscle activity in adult patients.
Please see DAXXIFY™ full Prescribing Information, including Boxed Warning and Medication Guide.
DAXXIFY™ (DaxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) for injection is the first and only FDA approved long-lasting peptide-formulated neuromodulator product for use in adults for the temporary improvement of moderate to severe frown lines (glabellar lines).1-2,7-11 DAXXIFY™ has the ability to deliver year-long results for patients with potentially only two treatments per year and has been proven to be effective, and generally safe and well tolerated.2-5 * DAXXIFY™ is powered by a cell-penetrating peptide technology (Peptide Exchange Technology™), Revance's proprietary, synthetic, 35-amino-acid stabilizing excipient with a highly positive charge, and is free of human serum albumin or animal-based components.1,2,11 Manufactured exclusively in the U.S., DAXXIFY™ is the first true innovation in neuromodulator product formulation in over 30 years.
Revance has evaluated this neuromodulator formulation in other Phase 2 clinical studies in aesthetics, including the full upper face, forehead lines and crow’s feet as well as in therapeutic indications, including cervical dystonia and upper limb spasticity. Learn more at RevanceAesthetics.com.
Revance is a commercial stage biotechnology company setting the new standard in healthcare with innovative aesthetic and therapeutic offerings that elevate patient and physician experiences. Revance’s aesthetics portfolio of expertly created products and services, including DAXXIFY™ (DaxibotulinumtoxinA-lanm) for injection, the RHA® Collection of dermal fillers, and OPUL®, the first-of-its-kind Relational Commerce platform for aesthetic practices, deliver a differentiated and exclusive offering for the company’s elite practice partners and their consumers. Revance has also partnered with Viatris Inc. to develop a biosimilar to BOTOX®, which will compete in the existing short-acting neuromodulator marketplace. Revance’s therapeutics pipeline is currently focused on muscle movement disorders including evaluating DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection in two debilitating conditions, cervical dystonia and upper limb spasticity.
- Data on File. DAXXIFY™ Package Insert. Newark, CA: Revance Therapeutics, Inc, 2022.
- Fabi SG, Cohen JL, et al. DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection for the treatment of glabellar lines: efficacy results from SAKURA 3, a large, open-label, phase 3 safety study. Dermatol Surg. 2020. doi:10.1097/DSS.0000000000002531
- Carruthers JD, Fagien S, et al. DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection for the treatment of glabellar lines: results from each of two multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 studies (SAKURA 1 and SAKURA 2). Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020;145(1):45-58.
- Bertucci V, Solish N, et al. DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection has a prolonged duration of response in the treatment of glabellar lines: pooled data from two multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 studies (SAKURA 1 and SAKURA 2). J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;82(4):838-845.
- Green JB, Mariwalla K, Coleman K, et al. A large, open-label, phase 3 safety study of daxibotulinumtoxinA for injection in glabellar lines: a focus on safety from the SAKURA 3 study. Dermatol Surg. 2020. doi:10.1097/DSS.0000000000002463
- Data on File. Protocols 1620301-303. Post Hoc Analysis. Newark, CA: Revance Therapeutics, Inc, 2021.
- Xeomin. Prescribing Information. Merz Pharmaceuticals GmbH; 2020.
- Dysport. Prescribing Information. Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Ltd; 2020.
- Jeuveau. Prescribing Information. Evolus, Inc; 2020.
- Botox Cosmetic. Prescribing Information. Allergan, Inc; 2020.
- Waugh JM, Lee J, Dake MD, Browne D. Nonclinical and clinical experiences with CPP-based self-assembling peptide systems in topical drug development. Methods Mol Biol. 2011; 683:553-572.
- Data on File. Harris Poll. Newark, CA: Revance Therapeutics, Inc, 2018.
- Decision Resources Group Aesthetics Injectables Market Insights Report, 2022.
- Data on File. D220801001. Newark, CA: Revance Therapeutics, Inc, 2022.
SOURCE: Revance Therapeutics