Amneal Achieves Third U.S. Biosimilar Approval with FYLNETRA™ (pegfilgrastim-pbbk)
- Category: Proteins and Peptides
- Published on Monday, 30 May 2022 09:48
- Hits: 1312
- Marks Amneal’s third biosimilar approval in 2022
BRIDGEWATER, NJ, USA I May 27, 2022 I Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE: AMRX) (“Amneal” or the “Company”) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) has approved the Company’s Biologics License Application (“BLA”) for pegfilgrastim-pbbk, a biosimilar referencing Neulasta®. The product will be marketed under the proprietary name FYLNETRA™.
FYLNETRA was developed in collaboration with Kashiv Biosciences, LLC, located in Chicago, Illinois. It is used to treat neutropenia (low neutrophils which are a type of white blood cells that fight infection) which is commonly experienced by patients undergoing chemotherapy.
This marks the third biosimilar approval Amneal received this year for products used in oncology, the second-largest biosimilar category in the U.S. Earlier this year, Amneal received approval of Releuko® (filgrastim-ayow), a filgrastim biosimilar referencing Neupogen®, and Alymsys® (bevacizumab-maly), a bevacizumab biosimilar referencing Avastin®. Amneal expects to launch these three products over the second half of 2022, along with a full patient support program.
“This is our third U.S. biosimilar approval this year and we are very enthusiastic about our future in the fast growing $28 billion U.S. biosimilars market. Biosimilars represent the next wave of affordable medicines and are closely aligned with our mission to provide high quality, affordable medicines to as many patients as possible,” said Chirag and Chintu Patel, Co-Chief Executive Officers.
“Building on our successful partnership with the recent approval of our first biosimilar, Releuko, we are pleased to receive approval for our second biosimilar. Kashiv is one of a few domestic companies to manufacture and launch multiple biosimilars in the United States. Kashiv aims to continue bringing high quality biosimilars to the global markets over the coming years. I would like to extend a humble thank you to our highly talented team, without whom this would not have been possible,” said Dr. Chandramauli Rawal, Chief Operating Officer for Kashiv.
According to IQVIA®, U.S. annual sales for pegfilgrastim for the 12 months ended March 2022 were $3.1 billion, $1.0 billion of which represented biosimilar sales.
Indications: FYLNETRA is a leukocyte growth factor indicated to decrease the incidence of infection, as manifested by febrile neutropenia, in patients with non-myeloid malignancies receiving myelosuppressive anti-cancer drugs associated with a clinically significant incidence of febrile neutropenia.
Limitations of Use: FYLNETRA is not indicated for the mobilization of peripheral blood progenitor cells for hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
FYLNETRA IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
FYLENTRA is contraindicated in patients with a history of serious allergic reactions to human granulocyte colony-stimulating factors such as filgrastim products or pegfilgrastim products.
Before you take FYLNETRA, tell your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or plan to breast feed, and if you have sickle cell disorder, kidney problems or receiving radiation therapy.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Fatal splenic rupture: Patients may experience enlarged spleen which can rupture and cause death.
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS): Patients may develop fever and lung infiltrates or respiratory distress. Discontinue FYLNETRA in patients with ARDS.
- Fatal sickle cell crises: Serious sickle cell crises have been reported in patients with sickle cell disorders receiving FYLNETRA. Discontinue FYLNETRA if sickle cell crisis occurs.
- Serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis: Permanently discontinue FYLNETRA in patients with serious allergic reactions.
- Kidney injury (Glomerulonephritis): Kidney injury have been reported in patients on FYLNETRA. Consider dose-reduction or interruption of FYLNETRA in patients with kidney injury.
- Decreased platelet count (thrombocytopenia); and increased white blood cell count (leukocytosis) have been reported. Monitor platelet counts and white blood cell count.
- Capillary leak syndrome has been reported after G-CSF administration, including pegfilgrastim products, and is characterized by hypotension, hypoalbuminemia, edema and hemoconcentration.
- The possibility that pegfilgrastim products act as a growth factor for any tumor type, including myeloid malignancies and myelodysplasia, diseases for which pegfilgrastim products are not approved, cannot be excluded.
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML): Monitor patients with breast and lung cancer using FYLNETRA in conjunction with chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy for signs and symptoms of MDS/AML.
- Aortitis has been reported in patients receiving pegfilgrastim products.
- Increased hematopoietic activity of the bone marrow in response to growth factor therapy has been associated with transient positive bone imaging changes.
Most common adverse reactions (≥ 5% difference in incidence compared to placebo) are bone pain and pain in extremity.
For full prescribing information, see package insert located here.
Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE: AMRX), headquartered in Bridgewater, NJ, is a fully integrated essential medicines company. We make healthy possible through the development, manufacturing, and distribution of generic and specialty pharmaceuticals, primarily within the United States. The Company has a diverse portfolio of over 250 products in its Generics segment and is expanding across a broad range of complex products and therapeutic areas, including injectables and biosimilars. In its Specialty segment, Amneal has a growing portfolio of branded pharmaceutical products focused primarily on central nervous system and endocrine disorders, with a pipeline focused on unmet needs. Through its AvKARE segment, the Company is a distributor of pharmaceuticals and other products for the U.S. federal government, retail, and institutional markets. For more information, please visit www.amneal.com.
SOURCE: Amneal Pharmaceuticals