BeiGene Announces the Approval in China of BLINCYTO® (Blinatumomab) for Injection for Pediatric Patients with Relapsed or Refractory B-Cell Precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
- Category: Antibodies
- Published on Wednesday, 04 May 2022 13:22
- Hits: 1840
CAMBRIDGE, MA, USA & BASEL, Switzerland & BEIJING, China I May 04, 2022 I BeiGene (NASDAQ: BGNE; HKEX: 06160; SSE: 688235), a global, science-driven biotechnology company focused on developing innovative and affordable medicines to improve treatment outcomes and access for patients worldwide, today announced that the China National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) has granted conditional approval of BLINCYTO® (blinatumomab) for injection for the treatment of pediatric patients with relapsed or refractory (R/R) CD19-positive B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). The NMPA granted conditional approval for adult patients in this indication in December 2020.
“This approval of BLINCYTO provides us with an opportunity to offer pediatric patients in China with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL the first approved biospecific immunotherapy treatment option for their disease”
Developed by Amgen and licensed to BeiGene in China under a strategic collaboration commenced in 2020, this is the second approval for BLINCYTO in China. The pediatric Supplemental Biologic License Application (sBLA) was submitted by BeiGene.
“This approval of BLINCYTO provides us with an opportunity to offer pediatric patients in China with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL the first approved biospecific immunotherapy treatment option for their disease,” commented Xiaobin Wu, Ph.D., President, Chief Operating Officer, and General Manager of China, at BeiGene. “We are proud to be able to offer BLINCYTO to help these young patients as they fight this disease. Our commercial organization of more than 3,100 people in China is excited to add this BLINCYTO indication to our portfolio, which includes 16 approved cancer treatments.”
BLINCYTO for injection for the treatment of adult patients with R/R CD19-positive B-cell precursor ALL was approved conditionally based on ex-China data and interim analysis results of the Phase 3 clinical trial of adult patients in China (NCT03476239). This conditional approval in pediatric patients with the above indication was granted based on ex-China research data and Chinese adult data. The full approval in this indication will depend on the results of a post-marketing study in China.
About Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), also known as acute lymphocytic leukemia, is a rapidly progressing cancer of the blood and bone marrow that occurs in both adults and children1. ALL accounts for approximately 20% of all adult leukemia, and in China there were an estimated 82,607 new cases of leukemia in 20182,3. In children, the relapse rate of ALL is nearly 10%, while in adults the relapse rate is closer to 50%4.
About BLINCYTO® (blinatumomab)
BLINCYTO is a BiTE® (bispecific T-cell engager) immuno-oncology therapy that targets CD19 surface antigens on B cells. BiTE molecules fight cancer by helping the body's immune system detect and target malignant cells by engaging T cells (a type of white blood cell capable of killing other cells perceived as threats) to cancer cells. By bringing T cells near cancer cells, the T cells can inject toxins and trigger cancer cell death (apoptosis). BiTE immuno-oncology therapies are currently being investigated for their potential to treat a wide variety of cancers.
BLINCYTO was granted breakthrough therapy and priority review designations by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is approved in the U.S. for the treatment of:
- relapsed or refractory CD-19 positive B-cell precursor ALL in adults and children.
- CD-19 positive B-cell precursor ALL in first or second complete remission with minimal residual disease (MRD) greater than or equal to 0.1% in adults and children. This indication is approved under accelerated approval based on MRD response rate and hematological relapse-free survival. Continued approval for this indication may be contingent upon verification and description of clinical benefit in the confirmatory trials.
In the European Union (EU), BLINCYTO is indicated as monotherapy for the treatment of:
- adults with Philadelphia chromosome negative CD19 positive relapsed or refractory B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive B-precursor ALL should have failed treatment with at least 2 tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs) and have no alternative treatment options.
- adults with Philadelphia chromosome negative CD19 positive B-precursor ALL in first or second complete remission with minimal residual disease (MRD) greater than or equal to 0.1%.
- pediatric patients aged 1 year or older with Philadelphia chromosome negative CD19 positive B-precursor ALL which is refractory or in relapse after receiving at least two prior therapies or in relapse after receiving prior allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- pediatric patients aged 1 year or older with high-risk first relapsed Philadelphia chromosome negative CD19 positive B-precursor ALL as part of the consolidation therapy.
In China, BLINCYTO is indicated for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL.
Please see full Prescribing Information and medication guide for BLINCYTO at www.BLINCYTO.com.
BeiGene is a global, science-driven biotechnology company focused on developing innovative and affordable medicines to improve treatment outcomes and access for patients worldwide. With a broad portfolio of more than 40 clinical candidates, we are expediting development of our diverse pipeline of novel therapeutics through our own capabilities and collaborations. We are committed to radically improving access to medicines for two billion more people by 2030. BeiGene has a growing global team of over 8,000 colleagues across five continents. To learn more about BeiGene, please visit www.beigene.com and follow us on Twitter at @BeiGeneGlobal.
BLINCYTO® and BiTE® are registered trademarks of Amgen Inc.
1 Mayo Clinic. Acute lymphocytic leukemia. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-lymphocytic-leukemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20369077
2 Baljevic M, Jabbour E, O'Brien S, Kantarjian HM (2016). "Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia".
3 Global Cancer Observatory. https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/160-china-fact-sheets.pdf
4 Leukaemia Care. Relapse in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL). https://media.leukaemiacare.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Relapse-in-Acute-Lymphoblastic-Leukaemia-ALL-Web-Version.pdf