Pacira BioSciences to Acquire Flexion Therapeutics Further Expanding Leadership Position in Non-Opioid Pain Management
- Category: More News
- Published on Monday, 11 October 2021 18:49
- Hits: 636
-- Adds highly complementary ZILRETTA® to Pacira commercial offering --
-- Combined portfolio offers end-to-end non-opioid solutions along the pain pathway --
-- Further enhances topline revenue growth; provides attractive potential synergies and expected to be accretive to full-year 2022 earnings and significantly accretive thereafter --
TAMPA, FL and BURLINGTON, MA, USA I October 11, 2021 I Pacira BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCRX), the industry leader in its commitment to non-opioid pain management and regenerative health solutions, and Flexion Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: FLXN) today announced a definitive agreement pursuant to which Pacira will acquire Flexion for $8.50 per share in cash, plus one non-tradeable contingent value right (CVR) worth up to $8.00 per share in cash. The CVR is payable (subject to certain terms and conditions) in the event certain sales and/or regulatory milestones are achieved, as set forth in more detail below. The transaction was unanimously approved by the board of directors of each of Pacira and Flexion.
Flexion is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel, local non-opioid therapies for the treatment of patients with musculoskeletal conditions, including osteoarthritis (OA), postsurgical pain and low back pain. Approved in 2017, Flexion’s lead product, ZILRETTA® (triamcinolone acetonide extended-release injectable suspension) is the first and only FDA-approved treatment for OA knee pain utilizing extended-release microsphere technology.
“This acquisition is a major milestone in our strategy to build a robust offering of novel, non-opioid treatments to improve patient care along the neural pain pathway while simultaneously providing us with a complementary commercial asset in ZILRETTA for the treatment of OA knee pain,” said Dave Stack, chairman and chief executive officer of Pacira. “We believe the Flexion portfolio further solidifies Pacira as a leader in opioid-sparing pain management as we continue to redefine the role of opioids as a last resort rescue medication. Importantly, this acquisition creates diversification and growth to our topline while providing what we would expect to be meaningful synergies that should result in substantial near- and long-term accretion to our cash flows and earnings.”
“Pacira shares our commitment to advancing non-opioid pain control and we believe it is ideally positioned to drive continued clinical and commercial success of ZILRETTA, FX201, and FX301,” said Michael Clayman, M.D., chief executive officer and co-founder of Flexion. “This combination with Pacira offers Flexion stakeholders excellent prospects for value creation, particularly as the contingent value rights provide the opportunity to continue to benefit from the ongoing success of Flexion’s products and programs.”
“I’d like to thank all of our employees – past and present -- for their extraordinary commitment and superb contributions that have translated into ZILRETTA, a medicine that matters, getting to increasing numbers of patients in need and to a pipeline of potentially transformative medicines,” continued Dr. Clayman.
Pacira Transaction Rationale
- Innovative non-opioid portfolio directly aligns with the Pacira mission to provide an opioid alternative to as many patients as possible and address medical needs along the neural pain pathway.
- Flexion’s ZILRETTA is a non-opioid injection that will allow Pacira to offer a treatment to manage OA pain of the knee at an earlier stage of the patient’s journey along the neural pain pathway
- Complementary sales call points and clinical-stage pipeline offer significant cost synergies across research and development and commercial activities.
- Adds multiple clinical milestones, including the initiation of a Phase 3 registration trial of ZILRETTA in shoulder osteoarthritis and the advancement of Phase 1 studies of FX201 for musculoskeletal pain, including OA, and FX301 as a lower extremity nerve block for postsurgical pain.
- Immediately revenue generating and expected to be accretive to full-year 2022 earnings and significantly accretive thereafter.
Under the terms of the definitive agreement, Pacira will commence a tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares of Flexion for a purchase price of $8.50 per share in cash, plus one non-tradeable CVR. The CVR will entitle Flexion stockholders to up to an additional $8.00 per share in cash payable (subject to certain terms and conditions) upon achievement of the following milestones:
- $1.00 per share if total calendar year ZILRETTA net sales achieve $250 million;
- $2.00 per share if total calendar year ZILRETTA net sales achieve $375 million;
- $3.00 per share if total calendar year ZILRETTA net sales achieve $500 million;
- $1.00 per share upon U.S. FDA approval of FX201; and
- $1.00 per share upon U.S. FDA approval of FX301.
The milestones associated with each contingent cash payment must be achieved, if at all, on or before December 31, 2030. There can be no assurance any payments will be made with respect to the CVR. The transaction is not subject to any financing condition and Pacira will fund the transaction from its existing cash resources.
Flexion’s board of directors unanimously recommends that Flexion’s stockholders tender their shares in the tender offer. Additionally, Flexion’s directors and executive officers, or their affiliates, have (subject to certain terms and conditions) agreed to tender their shares in the tender offer.
Timing to Close
The transaction is anticipated to close during the fourth quarter of 2021, subject to customary closing conditions, including receipt of required regulatory approvals and the tender of a majority of the outstanding shares of Flexion’s common stock. Following the successful closing of the tender offer, Pacira will acquire any shares of Flexion that are not tendered in the tender offer through a second-step merger at the same consideration as paid in the tender offer.
Third Quarter Performance and Guidance Update
Today Pacira and Flexion are providing the following preliminary unaudited results and updates for the third quarter of 2021. The financial information included in this press release is preliminary, unaudited, and subject to adjustment. It does not present all information necessary for an understanding of either company’s financial results for the third quarter or full year 2021.
- EXPAREL net product sales of $121.9 million for the third quarter and $39.7 million for the month of September 2021, compared with $113.7 million and $39.5 million in the prior year, respectively. The number of EXPAREL selling days for the month of September was 21 in both 2021 and 2020. The elective surgery market faced additional pandemic-related challenges in August and September due to regional surges in COVID-19 delta variant cases, staffing shortages, and surgical fatigue from care teams addressing significant procedure backlogs. These variables began to subside in the latter part of September and Pacira expects the fourth quarter to reflect improving market dynamics.
- iovera° net product sales of $4.2 million for the third quarter and $2.3 million for the month of September 2021, compared with $2.7 million and $1.1 million in the prior year, respectively.
- Flexion expects that ZILRETTA net sales were in the range of $21 million to $23 million for the third quarter of 2021. Third quarter 2021 sales were negatively impacted, particularly in the second half of the quarter, by the following primary factors: (a) temporary disruptions from rebate program modifications, (b) pandemic-related challenges, and (c) several unanticipated manufacturing batch failures that led to short-dated ZILRETTA inventory resulting in smaller order sizes by physician practices and product returns from specialty distributors.
- Consistent with Pacira practices, Flexion is withdrawing its ZILRETTA sales guidance for 2021.
J.P. Morgan Securities LLC acted as financial advisor to Pacira and Perkins Coie LLP is serving as its legal advisor. Lazard acted as lead financial advisor and Goldman Sachs also acted as financial advisor to Flexion. Cooley LLP is serving as Flexion’s legal advisor.
About Pacira BioSciences
Pacira BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCRX) is the industry leader in its commitment to non-opioid pain management and regenerative health solutions to improve patients’ journeys along the neural pain pathway. The company’s long-acting local analgesic, EXPAREL® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) was commercially launched in the United States in April 2012. EXPAREL utilizes DepoFoam®, a unique and proprietary product delivery technology that encapsulates drugs without altering their molecular structure and releases them over a desired period of time. In April 2019, Pacira acquired the iovera° system, a handheld cryoanalgesia device used to deliver precise, controlled doses of cold temperature only to targeted nerves. To learn more about Pacira, including the corporate mission to reduce overreliance on opioids, visit www.pacira.com.
About Flexion Therapeutics
Flexion Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FLXN) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel, local therapies for the treatment of patients with musculoskeletal conditions, beginning with osteoarthritis (OA), , the most common form of arthritis. The company’s approved product, ZILRETTA®, is the first and only extended-release, intra-articular, or IA (meaning in the joint), injection indicated for the management of OA knee pain. ZILRETTA is a non-opioid therapy that employs a proprietary microsphere technology to provide effective pain relief. To learn more about Flexion, please visit flexiontherapeutics.com.
EXPAREL (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) is indicated in patients 6 years of age and older for single-dose infiltration to produce postsurgical local analgesia, and in adults as an interscalene brachial plexus nerve block to produce postsurgical regional analgesia. Safety and efficacy have not been established in other nerve blocks. Since its launch, EXPAREL has been used in over nine million patients. The product combines bupivacaine with DepoFoam®, a proven product delivery technology that delivers medication over a desired time period. EXPAREL represents the first and only multivesicular liposome local anesthetic that can be utilized in the peri- or postsurgical setting. By utilizing the DepoFoam platform, a single dose of EXPAREL delivers bupivacaine over time, providing significant reductions in cumulative pain scores with up to a 78 percent decrease in opioid consumption; the clinical benefit of the opioid reduction was not demonstrated. Additional information is available at www.EXPAREL.com.
SOURCE: Pacira BioSciences