Sun Pharma Announces Positive Topline Results of Confirmatory Phase-3 Clinical Trial for Seciera™ for Treatment of Dry Eye
- Category: Proteins and Peptides
- Published on Wednesday, 04 January 2017 19:33
- Hits: 829
MUMBAI, India I January 4, 2017 I Sun Pharma (Reuters: SUN.BO, Bloomberg: SUNP IN, NSE: SUNPHARMA, BSE: 524715, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd and includes its subsidiaries or associate companies), announced successful Phase 3 confirmatory clinical trial results for Seciera™ (cyclosporine A, 0.09% ophthalmic solution), for the treatment of dry eye disease. Seciera™ is a patented, novel, proprietary nanomicellar formulation of cyclosporine A 0.09%. It is a clear, preservative-free, aqueous solution. Seciera™ is being developed by Ocular Technologies, a company recently acquired by Sun Pharma. Following this acquisition, Sun Pharma owns exclusive, worldwide rights to Seciera™ and is developing it to commercialize for global markets including US, Europe, and Japan, as well as several emerging markets.
1. Sall K, Stevenson OD, Mundorf TK, Reis BL. Two multicenter, randomized studies of the efficacy and safety of cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion in moderate to severe dry eye disease. CsA Phase 3 Study Group. Ophthalmology. 2000 Apr;107(4):631-9. PMID: 10768324
2. Sheppard JD, Torkildsen GL, Lonsdale JD, D'Ambrosio FA Jr, McLaurin EB, Eiferman RA, Kennedy KS, Semba CP. Lifitegrast ophthalmic solution 5.0% for treatment of dry eye disease: results of the OPUS-1 phase 3 study. Ophthalmology. 2014 Feb;121(2):475-83. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.09.015. Epub 2013 Nov 26. PMID: 24289915
3. Tauber J, Karpecki P, Latkany R, Luchs J, Martel J, Sall K, Raychaudhuri A, Smith V, Semba CP. Lifitegrast Ophthalmic Solution 5.0% versus Placebo for Treatment of Dry Eye Disease: Results of the Randomized Phase III OPUS-2 Study. Ophthalmology. 2015 Dec;122(12):2423-31. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.08.001. Epub 2015 Sep 11. PMID: 26365210
4. DEWS Research Subcommittee. Research in dry eye: report of the Research Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye WorkShop (2007). Ocul Surf. 2007;5(2):179-193.
5. Paulsen AJ, Cruickshanks KJ, Fischer ME, et al. Dry eye in the Beaver Dam Offspring Study: prevalence, risk factors, and health-related quality of life. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157(4):799-806.
6. Kantar Health. National Health and Wellness Survey: The Global Health and Wellness Report – 2014.
http://www.kantarhealth.com/docs/ebooks/global-health-and-wellness-report.pdf. Accessed May 23, 2016.
7. Market Scope - 2015 Comprehensive Report on the Global Dry Eye Products Market; December 2015
About Dry Eye Disease
Dry Eye Disease, as defined by the National Health Institute (NHI), occurs when the eye does not produce tears properly, or when the tears are not of the correct consistency and evaporate too quickly. In addition, inflammation of the surface of the eye may occur along with dry eye. If left untreated, this condition can lead to pain, ulcers, or scars on the cornea, and some loss of vision. Dry eye can make it more difficult to perform some activities, such as using a computer or reading for an extended period of time, and it can decrease tolerance for dry environments, such as the air inside an airplane. Other names for dry eye include dry eye syndrome, keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), dysfunctional tear syndrome, lacrimal keratoconjunctivitis, evaporative tear deficiency, aqueous tear deficiency, and LASIK-induced neurotrophic epitheliopathy (LNE).
About Sun Ophthalmics
Backed by Sun Pharma’s global expertise in R&D, Sun Ophthalmics (the branded ophthalmics division of Sun Pharma’s wholly owned subsidiary) is leading the way through the development of innovative products and in partnership with eye care professionals. Sun Ophthalmics recently launched BromSite™ (bromfenac ophthalmic solution) 0.075% in US for the treatment of postoperative inflammation and prevention of ocular pain in patients undergoing cataract surgery. Other candidates in Sun Ophthalmics development pipeline include Xelpros™ (latanoprost 0.005% ophthalmic solution), being explored for the reduction of elevated intraocular pressure in patients with open angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension, and DexaSite™ (dexamethasone) 0.1%, being explored for the treatment of blepharitis. Sun Ophthalmics’ dedicated team is focused solely on the needs of eye care professionals, offering timely, knowledgeable support at every turn. It is striving to deliver products built on unique platforms that integrate seamlessly into the eye care practice, helping eye care professionals to continue providing quality medicine. Discover a brighter future in eye care at www.sunophthalmics.com
About Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (CIN – L24230GJ1993PLC019050)
Sun Pharma is the world's fifth largest specialty generic pharmaceutical company and India's top pharmaceutical company. A vertically integrated business, economies of scale and an extremely skilled team enable us to deliver quality products in a timely manner at affordable prices. It provides high-quality, affordable medicines trusted by customers and patients in over 150 countries across the world. Sun Pharma's global presence is supported by 47 manufacturing facilities spread across 6 continents, R&D centres across the globe and a multi-cultural workforce comprising over 50 nationalities. The consolidated revenues for 12 months ending March 2016 are approximately US$ 4.3 billion, of which US contributes US$ 2.1 billion. In India, the Company enjoys leadership across 12 different classes of doctors with 32 brands featuring amongst top 300 pharmaceutical brands in India. Its footprint across emerging markets covers over 100 markets and 6 markets in Western Europe. Its Global Consumer Healthcare business is ranked amongst Top 10 across 4 global markets. Its API business footprint is strengthened through 14 world class API manufacturing facilities across the globe. Sun Pharma fosters excellence through innovation supported by strong R&D capabilities comprising about 2,000 scientists and R&D investments of over 8% of annual revenues.
For further information please visit www.sunpharma.com & follow us on Twitter @SunPharma_Live
SOURCE: Sun Pharma